Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate with ELP
National - Classroom AROC

Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate with ELP

AROC with English Language Proficiency

In Stock

 CASA Certified Training Provider (ReOC.0152).

 Learn from Industry Experts.

 Courses aligned with new Part 101 MOS.

 Virtual Instruction Available.

 Discounts for Groups.

 Mobile Classroom for Remote Locations.

Seen a better price elsewhere? Click here to request a price match! (T+Cs Apply)

This course covers the requirements for the AROC certificate, allowing you to fly your Drone in controlled airspace in accordance with your ReOC and current legislation.

The English Language Proficiency is included with the AROC course, as a pass in GELP or AELP6 is required for the AROC Certificate to be issued.  

The AROC course fee includes the CASA AROC licence fee.

More Information below:

Learn about the rules for operating on aeronautical radio frequencies and the Part 64 Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate (AROC).

The rules are contained in Part 64 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998.

Who is qualified to transmit on an aeronautical radio frequency?

In the interests of safety, there are rules for using aeronautical radios – in particular, transmitting on certain frequencies.

Part 64 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1988 requires non-licensed personnel to be qualified to transmit on a radio frequency that is used for the safety of air navigation.

You are qualified if you:

  • hold a flight radio operator licence
  • are authorised to do so under Parts 61, 64 or 65 of CASR
  • are flying a foreign registered aircraft and have been authorised to do so by the country of registration.

What is a Part 64 Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate?

Part 64 of CASR includes the rules for the Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate (AROC). The AROC replaced the old Aeronautical radio operator certificate of proficiency on 1 September 2014.

If you hold a Part 64 AROC you are authorised to transmit on an aeronautical radio that is used for the purpose of the safety of air navigation.

Who needs an AROC?

People who typically need an AROC include drone pilots, ground handlers, B1 and B2 licensed aircraft maintenance engineers who operate radios when taxiing or towing  aircraft or testing aircraft radios, RPAS operators, some aerodrome personnel and some people involved in emergency service operations.

You will need an AROC if you intend to transmit on an aeronautical radio frequency and are not authorised under other rules including:

  • Part 61 - student pilots, holders of a recreational pilot licence with a flight radio endorsement, holders of private, commercial, multi-crew pilot and air transport pilot licences
  • Part 65 - holders of an air traffic controller licence, ATC licence trainees and holders of a flight service licence
  • Part 139 - certified air/ground radio operators
  • Sport aviation - authorised by a sport aviation organisation in accordance with the relevant legislation. Note, the authorisation might be limited to those operations.

How do I get an AROC?

To be granted an AROC you must:

  • be at least 17 years old
  • have received the appropriate AROC training
  • have been assessed as meeting the AROC competency standards
  • have a current English language proficiency assessment.

Who can conduct AROC training?

The following people and organisations can conduct AROC training:

  • a pilot instructor who holds a training endorsement for conducting training for a pilot licence or flight crew rating
  • a registered training organisation whose scope  of registration covers AROC training
  • a person or organisation holding a regulation 64.012 approval to conduct AROC training.

Who can conduct the AROC competency assessment?

The assessment to determine whether you meet the competency standards specified in the Part 61 Manual of Standards (MOS) for the operation of an aeronautical radio can be conducted by a flight examiner, a pilot instructor who can conduct AROC training and holders of 64.012 approvals for conducting AROC.

What are the knowledge and practical competency standards for the AROC?

The knowledge standards for the AROC are in unit 1.2.1 - RARO RPL aeronautical radio operator in Schedule 3 of the Part 61 MOS.

The practical standards for the AROC are in unit C3 - Operate radio, in Schedule 2 of the Part 61 MOS.

What English language proficiency standards do I need to meet?

You must meet prescribed English language proficiency standards. 

To undertake the English language proficiency assessment, contact a flight training organisation or a flight examiner.

How do I apply for an AROC?

You will need to lodge an application with CASA using Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate Form 64-ROC, and include evidence of how you meet the English language proficiency requirements, as indicated on the form. If you already hold a CAR 83 AROCOP authorisation you must include a certified true copy of your old certificate.

What if I already hold an authorisation?

Old aeronautical radio operator certificates and flight radiotelephone operator licences issued under the Civil Aviation Regulations cannot be used from 1 September 2018.

However, the transition provisions allow holders of these authorisations to convert to an equivalent Part 64 authorisation up until 31 August 2025.

Please note, from 1 September 2018, CASA will charge of fee of $25 to reissue a Part 64 authorisation.

Want to know more?

The rules for operating aeronautical radios are contained in the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 and Part 61 and Part 64 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998:

  • Regulation 83 CAR  – Transmitting on aeronautical radio frequencies
  • Regulation 61.120  – Operation of aircraft radio without licence
  • Regulation 61.435  – When holders of pilot licences authorised to operate aircraft radios
  • Subpart 64.B –Transmission on aeronautical radio frequencies
  • Regulation 202.301 – Continuation of old authorisation
  • Regulation 202.304 – Grant of aeronautical radio operator certificates.


Brand Wicked Copters
The Wicked Copters courses are scheduled to run during the weeks listed:
  • iBEV 2019 - Australia Wide RePL Venues
    • We come to you!
    • Anywhere in Australia!
  • Adelaide
    • 29 Apr 2019
    • 27 May 2019
    • 24 Jun 2019
    • 22 Jul 2019
  • Airlie Beach
    • 16 Apr 2019 (Full)
    • 20 May 2019
    • 17 Jun 2019
    • 15 Jul 2019
  • Alice Springs
    • On Demand
  • Brisbane
    • 01 Apr 2019
    • 15 Apr 2019 (Full)
    • 29 Apr 2019
    • 13 May 2019
    • 27 May 2019
    • 10 Jun 2019
    • 24 Jun 2019
    • 08 Jul 2019
    • 22 Jul 2019
  • Cairns
    • On Demand
  • Canberra
    • On Demand
  • Darwin
    • On Demand
  • Melbourne
    • 15 Apr 2019 (Full)
    • 13 May 2019
    • 10 Jun 2019
    • 08 Jul 2019
  • Sydney
    • 01 Apr 2019
    • 13 May 2019
    • 10 Jun 2019
    • 08 Jul 2019
  • Perth
    • 26 Mar 2019 (One Place Left)
    • 29 Apr 2019
    • 27 May 2019
    • 24 Jun 2019
    • 22 Jul 2019
From March 2019, the new Part101 MoS RePL transition period is expected to be effective. Please refer to the course description for more information.

Others Also Bought

More From This Category